Not sure I fully understand what you want but I was able to modify my
'west' panel to add a button after the stacklayoutpanel. It may be you
need to add some size controls but couldn't tell if that was the issue
from your description. Here is what I have:

        <g:LayoutPanel width="100%" height='100%'>
                <g:layer top='2em' bottom='0'>
                        <g:Label addStyleNames="{style.center}">
                                Label Categories
                        </g:Label>
                </g:layer>

                <g:layer top='4em' bottom='10%'>
                        <g:StackLayoutPanel ui:field="stackLayout" unit='EM'>
                                <g:stack>
                                        <g:header size='2'> Lorem ipsum
</g:header>
                                        <g:VerticalPanel ui:field="vertPanel">