His,

I am trying to optimize performance for a mobile gwt app. We have lots
of HTMLPanels to layout widgets, and our speculation is that they may
be causes of really bad sluggishness. Since there are regular updates
to GUI we use add() method of HTMLPanel to render updated sections
anew.

Would switching to the new cell layout panels alleviate some of these
performance pains. I am not quite getting if CellList is supposed to
perform better in layouting components than standard panels.

As we started finding ways to optimize for performance I have tried
replacing some of the widgets with UiBinder templates + owning
classes, but no real performance gains have been made. We are surely
doing something wrong, could it be that you only gain performance
improvements only if templates are as static as possible and UiFields
are simplest elements as opposed to widgets. I am guessing that if
UiFields in templates are layout panels or widgets (buttons in our
case, mostly) than it cannot really use setInnerHtml to boost up
performance and uses regular DOM manipulations instead.

It would be great to hear some feedback on these two points.

Is anyone aware of any opensource rich-data GWT project to be able to
peek into its codebase?

Thanks