Alternative frameworks like gwt-platform and mvp4g offer similar MVP,
Place and event bus architectures but require much less boilerplate.
If you worry about departing from the main line of GWT, you should
know that GWTP's architecture share many similarities and we plan to
start integrating it as soon as GWT activities and places are stable
and well-tested. (GWTP is already quite stable and is used in various
production projects.)  You can basically see GWTP as an alternative to
SpringRoo for those who want to build MVP apps efficiently without
having to rely on code generation tools.

For more info: http://gwtplatform.com

Cheers,

   Philippe