since MyMenuBar is-a MenuBar there is an implicit typecast, so you can
do

MenuBar myBar = new MyMenuBar(..)

you can of course downcast the MenuBar to MyMenuBar, if you're sure it
is a MyMenuBar

@alexoffspring

i'm wondering how you initialize the *root* with your MyMenuBar, if
doing this way:

MenuBar root = new MenuItem("MyMenuBar", new MyMenuBar(false));
MyMenuBar myMenuBar = (MyMenubar)root.getSubMenu();

then the cast shall be working like a charm....