When the user edits a node of my CellTree, I want to inject a
composite widget into the tree at that point to handle the editing.

To experiment with this, I created the following custom TextArea sub-
class:

class MyTextArea extends TextArea {
  public static MyTextArea addToElement(Element parent) {
    MyTextArea textArea = new MyTextArea();
    parent.appendChild(textArea.getElement());

    textArea.onAttach();
    RootPanel.detachOnWindowClose(textArea);

    return textArea;

When the user clicks on a node in the tree, I create an instance of
MyTextArea as follows:

    ta = MyTextArea.addToElement(parent);

Tragically, I'm getting the following error message: "A widget that
has an existing parent widget may not be added to the detach list"

I understand that when MyTextArea calls
parent.appendChild(textArea.getElement()), it attaches itself via a
chain of parent elements to the CellTree; and in doing so, it
disqualifies itself from registration in the 'detach list'.

Soooo...can you see a way to do what I'm trying to do?