I've been playing with Roo & GWT for a couple of days now, which
certainly doesn't make me an expert, but I'd like to share my
experience and see how it compares with others.

The application that I'm trying to create has about 8 entities that
require a CRUD like interface. The rest of the application requires a
more specific (non-CRUD) UI. My hope was that Roo would help generate
the CRUD portions, just allowing for some basic customizations, and
let me handle the rest. So far, I seem to be fighting it more than
it's helped. Some examples:

- You can't modify the generated ui.xml files -- Roo will simply
clobber them as soon as it makes the next change for that entity. For
example, I don't want to list the ID field in the list view, but I
don't see a way to remove it. There's a JIRA open about this, that was
deferred to post 1.1.0 (ROO-937).

- New dynamic finders don't seem to be added to the respective Request
interface. Further, and this may be a Roo thing, they return
TypedQuery rather than a List or the entity, which I don't imagine the
RequestFactory framework can handle. There's another JIRA than covers
this, I believe (ROO-1595)

- Adding custom finders doesn't work, because again, Roo will clobber
the Request interface. I tried removing the @RooGwtMirroredFrom
annotation from the Request, but Roo just readied it for me. Probably
under the previous JIRA.

Lastly, the documentation is atrocious. The Roo reference guide only
mentions GWT in its appendix of commands, and other guides only go as
far as a simple "gwt setup". There's no mention of the expectations,
limitations, guide to customization, or anything else. I've seen
several, yet unanswered posts on the Roo forum about customization, so
I imagine I'm not alone here.

I've been a very loyal GWT user since 1.3, and I'm very pleased with
the ongoing progress, including the gamut of features introduced in
2.1, so I hope nobody takes this as GWT bashing. However, unless I'm
really missing something, the implementation of Roo+GWT falls far
short of the hype it's received since I/O. In the current form, it
makes for a very impressive demo: type a few commands and a full
functioning database editor pops out. But as soon as you try to do
anything outside of what's generated, it's very hard, if not
impossible.

So, it's only been a few days since final release, but what do other
people think? Is anyone having better luck?

Thanks.

- Amir