I am having a very similar problem - NullPointerException when I call
fire() (the NPE is in AbstractRequestContext.doFire()).  So I am
wondering if you have found a solution to your problem.

The code with the fire() is:
CommitmentSystemRequestFactory requestFactory =
        GWT.create(CommitmentSystemRequestFactory.class);
requestFactory.commitmentRequest().countCommitments().fire(
  new Receiver<Long>() {
                @Override
                public void onSuccess(Long response) {
                        Window.alert("Done!");
                }
  });

My CommitmentRequest class has:
@Service (Commitment.class)
public interface CommitmentRequest extends RequestContext {
  Request<Long> countCommitments();

My Commitment.java class has:
  public static long countCommitments() {

Some other notes...
* I have also been going through the Expenses sample app, both the
description at:
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideRequestFactory.html#proxies
and the sample code.
* I am NOT using JPA.  My first learning project for GWT/GAE was with
JPA, but now I wanted to try the RequestFactory and then add
Objectify.
* I am NOT using MVP.  I just don't yet have the critical mass of
brain cells necessary.

Thanks for any updates or advice...
RB