For anybody considering GWTP (http://gwtplatform.com) as an
alternative to GWT MVP, I want to stress out the fact that, despite
the differences, there are a lot of similarity in the spirit of these
two libraries. For example, gwtplatform's proxies are very similar to
GWT's Activities. The place systems are quite similar too.

One of the difference is that GWTP already offers mechanisms to reduce
boilerplate via annotations and generators. You can hook (lazy) events
to your presenters, define their place, etc. all with simple
annotations right in your presenter. I'm sure GWT will evolve towards
that at some point, but if you need it right away GWTP might not be a
bad choice.

Another difference is that GWTP fully embraces the concept of
presenters, whereas in GWT MVP you need to create them using the
provided building blocks. As you start nesting presenters it is useful
to have mechanisms to maintain a hierarchy and propagate lifecycle
notifications within that hierarchy. In GWT you will likely have to
build some scaffolding for that.

GWTP also has more bells and whistles such as hierarchical places
(useful for breadcrumbs), support for tabbed presenters, etc.

Where GWT shines is in the level of decoupling of the various
components. And the GWTP developers appreciate this a lot. In fact, we
plan to migrate the backend of GWTP towards the core GWT MVP classes
(as they stabilize). Our goal is to let users of the current API
benefit from any improvement provided by the GWT team. In time, we
want GWTP apps to be interoperable with standard GWT MVP apps.

A closing remark: GWTP offers other components that can be used
independently of its MVP framework. If you want to use GWT MVP but
need a good dispatch solution, take a look at GWTP dispatcher.

Cheers,

    Philippe