Hi all, sort of an off beat question: what's the best cross-platform library
for a local web server, that could effectively make a standard GWT app into
a desktop app? Ideal would be super light weight, and just allow users to
run the app offline, with local data. Language could be Java, C++ or Python.

If curious about why such a library would be desired, some background at the
end of the email...
Thanks for the help,
Brett

***
Background:

I'm about to build an app for researchers to browse and analyze large
scientific datasets. We want to permit two uses:
-- Web version: users can browse/analyze common public datasets over the web
-- Local version: users can do the same browsing/analysis on their own data
set, *without* transferring the data to the server.

The plan now is to build a desktop app for this. I'd love to make it a
browser app instead, with GWT as the front end. If we went this route, we'd
have to provide some software download for the local version. Here are the
options I can think of:
1 -- Local version is a completely separate app. Hope to avoid this so users
get the same interface on web/local.
2 -- Use Gears (or Adobe Air). Avoided because that would require
transferring server side analysis code to javascript (or Actionscript).
(Right?)
3 -- Ship an executable that starts a local web server. User views app at
http://localhost:12345/ in the browser.
(Any others I'm missing?)

I am trying to assess the feasability of #3. The ideal workflow of our app
would be:
-- Researcher checks out our site in the browser and tries it out. Likes it,
clicks the "Try this on your own data" button
-- Downloads executable with mystery web server described above :)
-- Double clicks executable and a minor GUI shows up with a "Get started!"
button
-- User clicks, and the app is loaded in the browser at
http://localhost:[whatever
port]/. The app looks the same as it did online with the same functionality,
except the "Select data set" option lists local files...