Its package protected for now until we have time to think through and
formalize the API, which probably won't happen until after GWT 2.2.
 Sometimes we add new features as package protected so that we can make
breaking API changes later without actually breaking anyone's code (because
users shouldn't be relying on it).  Unfortunately, that means that you can't
modify the loading state easily.

If you really need access, you create a parallel package in your project
named com.google.gwt.user.cellview.client and subclass the CellTable, making
part of the API public.  By using the same package name, you'll have access
to the package protected methods.  However, understand that we may change
the API in the future if we formalize the loading state concept.

Thanks,
John LaBanca
jlaba...@google.com