Kenneth,

If you see a Swing UI window rather than a tab inside of eclipse, then you
are using the GWTShell UI.  GPE should do this for you, but to update an old
project using the GWTShell UI to use the DevMode UI you want to edit your
debug/run configuration:

Here's an example for a NewWebApp project:
*main class:* com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode

*arguments:* -remoteUI "${gwt_remote_ui_server_port}:${unique_id}"
-startupUrl NewWebApp.html -logLevel INFO -port 8888 -war
/usr/local/google/users/conroy/gwt-workspace/NewWebApp/war -codeServerPort
9997 com.example.NewWebApp.NewWebApp