If you're using the URL that includes ?gwt.codesvr=1.2.3.4:9997, then
you're using DevMode.  In that mode, you don't have to do a GWT
compile to JavaScript after saving every change (but you do have to
reload the web page).  If you're using the URL that does not include
the gwt.codesvr stuff, then you're running production JavaScript.  In
that mode, you do need to do a GWT compile to see changes.  This
article goes through the core concepts:

http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideCompilingAndDebugging.html