Thank you for your feedback and support on this.

I spent a very long time, trying many different combinations,
including those you suggested, unfortunately none of them worked.

this topic was also discussed here, you can see my comments there.
http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/thread/20ea2aea53aa29d3

here is the log, showing whats going on ...
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/308797/

based on your suggestion, I removed references to
RequestFactoryServlet from web.xml
and added this mapping to my webmvc-config.xml config file:

<bean
class="org.springframework.web.servlet.handler.SimpleUrlHandlerMapping">
        <property name="mappings">
            <value>/gwtRequest=gwtRequestFactoryController</value>
        </property>
</bean>
<bean id="gwtRequestFactoryController"
class="com.google.gwt.requestfactory.server.RequestFactoryServlet"/>

from the log file, it is clear that /gwtRequest is mapped.
I also tried dozen of other combinations, but unfortunately no luck.

still don't know why GWT RequestFactoryServlet behaves like this in
Spring configured environment ?