Well I agree with mgenov. For tables and lists you should really consider
only transferring data which is actually displayed.
However sometimes this is not possible.
For example in one of my applications I have to display around 50.000 dots
in a 5 different scatterplots. My backend (cherrypy, python webserver)
creates a google visualization datatable (json array) which is passed to my
GWT application.
The response of this json array is around 330 kb in size. It's acutally fast
enough to display it quickly. However by enabling gzip compression on the
webserver I could reduce the response size from 330 kb to around 110 kb.
That's actually quite significant. For these kind of use cases
I definitely recommend to activate gzip compression on the server.