I'm using RequestFactory.  My Proxy and Locator are mapped to a DTO.
Things are fine until I start subclassing my DTO to contain more or
less fields of the underlying JPA entity.    For example, I change
some of the static methods in my Locator to return BasicDTO which is a
superclass of FullDTO with fewer fields from the underlying JPA entity
than FullDTO.    After struggling through the resulting error
messages, I’m starting to believe this is not how RequestFactory was
intended to be used.

So,

1) What is the "appropriate" pattern for providing query results (i.e.
request results) with varying sets of "columns" in the resulting
objects depending on the specific request being made?

The MVP example (Contacts) mentions a realistic application would have
many more fields in the model but I haven't found a sample or
explanation for how to handle returning results with different sets of
fields based on the request even though many of these requests map to
the same underlying JPA entity in the domain model.

2) … or more likely, why is this a bad idea and how are client/server
interactions intended to operate?

Thanks,
Jeremy