Also, you may want to have a look at https://github.com/chirino/resty-gwt.
It automates JSON<-->POJO mapping to REST-style services using a GWT
generator.

AutoBeans could certainly be used for JSON<-->POJO mapping, as
RequestFactory uses both AutoBeans and JSON under the covers. However, the
RequestFactory wire protocol is its own thing built on top of JSON, so it's
not quite a direct POJO->JSON conversion in the sense you're thinking about.
Better to pick RequestFactory or REST rather than try to marry them, I
think, as REST and RPC of any kind are fundamentally different ways of
thinking about remote services.

Editors are orthogonal to RequestFactory. Have a look at the
SimpleBeanEditorDriver in 2.1 for use with your POJOs.

/dmc

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Y2i <yur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, December 11, 2010 2:01:28 PM UTC-8, zixzigma wrote:
>>
>> is it possible to use 2.1.1 RequestFactory/AutoBean to convert POJO to
>> JSON and viceversa
>> when interacting with a RESTful Web Service ?
>>
>> the common practice with GWT client-server communication is
>> to have packages:
>> client, shared, server, configuring web.xml
>>
>> however, in-order to be truly loosely coupled,
>> I am thinking of developing the Server side of my app,
>> as a REST WebService. completely separate from the client.
>> sending JSON encoded data to the Server, and reading JSON.
>>
>> only using a common .jar file on both containing Entity POJOs.
>>
>> the problem on GWT client side is a clean way of Converting JSON to
>> POJO back and forth.
>>
>> I was wondering if the new AutoBean/RequestFactory/EntityProxy can
>> help in the situation I described ?
>>

> Clean conversion of JSON is achieved
> with com.google.gwt.jsonp.client.JsonpRequestBuilder
> Request factory is not necessary.
>
> These guidelines describe the basics of working with JSON and overlay types
> (JavaScript objects wrapped with Java facade)
> http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/tutorial/JSON.html
>
> com.google.gwt.jsonp.client.JsonpRequestBuilder simplifies things even more
> because there is no need to do any JSNI and eval().
> And it also allows for cross-site communication variant called JSON with
> padding, which is described in detail here:
> http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/tutorial/Xsite.html
>

>> Can i still use "Editor" if I opt for JSON/REST solution above ?
>> What do you think of this approach ? do you think it may result in
>> performance problems ?
>>

> Since overlay types look like POJOs, I think they should work with Editor
> framework, but I haven't tried that.

David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, Google Web Toolkit
w: http://code.google.com/
b: http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/
t: @googledevtools