If your widgets are adding event handlers to the event bus (SimpleEventBus,
for example) then they would 'probably' need to clean themselves up at some
point by removing the handlers. When they should do this is really specific
to the life-cycle of your widgets. If they are singletons with an
application scope life cycle, for instance (why I used 'probably'), a
reference to the widget will never go out of scope so there is no need to
remove the handlers. If you are attaching, unattaching, and reattaching them
then it would depend on whether the handlers were going to receive events
while they are unattached and what they would do with them. If they update
the dom then that wouldn't work so you would want to clean up the handlers
in this case. But if they were only saving a reference to a list of records
returned from the server for instance then that would be ok and there would
be no need to remove the handler when the widget is detached. I hope you see
where this is going - it all depends on your use case.

Jeff

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Joe Hudson <joe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm wondering what, if anything I need to do from a cleanup
> perspective when using a Widget that creates child elements.  For
> example:
>
> public class MyWidget extends Widget {
>
>    public MyWidget() {
>        Element el = DOM.createDiv();
>        setElement(el);
>
>        Element anotherEl = DOM.createDiv();
>        el.appendchild(anotherEl);
>    }
> }
>
> With the code above, should I do anything with "anotherEl" on detatch?
>  Thanks for the advice.

*Jeff Schwartz*