Just a quick update. I wrote two blogposts about the topic of
"modularizing" your GWT project:

http://ars-codia.raphaelbauer.com/2011/01/gwt-project-layout-part-1-simple.html
http://ars-codia.raphaelbauer.com/2011/01/gwt-project-layout-part-2-large.html

We are still continuing to improve and fine-tune our setup for many
developers. But so far it is a quite nice experience. Using the
approach described in the second post it is quite straight forward for
new developers to become productive.

Feel free to suggest any improvements.. We are really eager to learn
and share ideas :)

Best,

Raphael