I see the same error message when inheriting from a generic class or
implementing an interface that uses generics.  I don't see any documentation
forbidding that either.  In the example below it works just fine if I
comment out the "implements ObjectWithException<MyObject>" code, but throws
an error if I leave it in.

Interface:

public interface ObjectWithException<T>
{
    public MyException getException ();
    public void setException (MyException exception);
    public T getDomainObject ();
    public void setDomainObject (T object);
}

Class:

public class MyObjectWithException implements ObjectWithException<MyObject>
{
public MyObject getDomainObject () {    return object;  }
public void setDomainObject (MyObject object) {    this.object = object;  }
}

SEVERE: Method overloads found in type
com.mypackage.gwt.server.MyObjectWithException named setDomainObject:
  void setDomainObject(java.lang.Object )
  void setDomainObject(com.mypackage.domain.MyObject )