Hi Jim,
Your concerns are quite justified.
The GWT docs have a JRE emulation reference that shows what is supported at
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/RefJreEmulation.html
<http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/RefJreEmulation.html>Unfortunately
the java.rmi package is not listed there.

Thanks for the tip on the Jsch library. It'll come in handy.
I took a look at the jsch source code (thanks!) and it imports all kinds of
unsupported libs like swing and awt etc.

I suggest looking for native javascript libs instead of java libraries for
your functionality.
While you are coding in java, the browser is really executing javascript.
It relatively painless to wrap a js library with the JSNI wrapper and use
them within your GWT app.

--
-- A. Stevko