Hi,

I have to explain my real problem with DateFormat:

I need to represent a time span (the time elapsed during a chess
move), not a real date, e. g.:

0000-01-02 03:04:05

means:
0 years, 1 month, 2 days, 3 hours, 4 minutes and 5 seconds.

Such a span is computed by subtracting a date from another date and
stored as a date:

Date d1,d2;
..
long t1 = d1.getTime ();
long t2 = d2.getTime ();
long t = t2 - t1;
Date d = new Date (t);

I cannot format d it with DateFormat, since it is interpreted as an
offset to 1970. If I could supress this interpretation, I would be
glad.

As a workaround, I extracted the date elements as integers and tried
to format them with String.format.

Magnus