I am making an app in GWT. It is like a dashboard and will have out of
the box widgets that I will provide.

Now when we ship this out, there is a use case that the customer might
want to create their own GWT widget and use this in the dashboard app.

As I understand it, they will not be able to do this since we cannot
ship our source code which is needed to compile the whole app again
once tag of their widget/module gets into the gwt.xml file of my app.

I cannot use anything other that GWT to make this dashboard. And their
widget could be say a flash heapmap, a jquery widget/plugin, another
GWT module, a jsp page that renders a visualization from back end.

So far my thoughts have been to provide a widget in my app which is a
wrapper in the form of an Iframe and call their main page (they will
provide url), and have an api to let my app and their widget talk.

But I would like to know if there are other / better approaches?