I was not clear about the role-based security.
Lets make a simple example: Entity e contains Names of persons along with
the company they work for:

e.name
e.company

I have two services, one that is allowed only to read entries of persons
that work for companyA, the other is allowed only to read persons that work
for companyB.
I can easly protect those services with roles.

You always want to protect your services,* the EntityLocator in GWT bypasses
this concept*.