My approach has been to use RequestFactory.getProxyId to turn known ids into
EntityProxyIds, and from there to get the actual instance. This works for
the most part, unless you actually want to use the same id format that the
server uses. In this case, why not add a method to your RequestContext
subclass?
Request<MyEntity> getEntityWithId(long id);

To hijack this thread somewhat, has anyone done any work calling the
underlying IdFactory methods as Tom mentioned, with the intent of already
getting a history token without type information? My Places know which type
they represent, and so their tokenizers can work with more simple history
tokens, if this is possible.