I am looking to find the best way to detect inactivity in a GWT
application. In a traditional web application this would be done
through a session timeout, however in a GWT app it is different
because:

1. It is quite possible that at one point in time the client has got
enough data from the server to allow the user to keep interacting with
the system without the need for another server rpc call for a while
which could be long enough to cause a session timeout on the server
which is undesirable.

2. One possibility is to keep polling the server periodically. However
in my case I am already polling the server periodically to get
notifications and updates etc. So it is possible that the user would
leave his desk and because the polling is alive, the server session
never times out.

I therefore need a way to detect the inactivity on the client. What is
the best way to achieve this? Is using DOM event listeners a good
idea ?