This page does not say that GWT Designer is a "standalone" product :-)
Ok I found the page where Eve found the quote :
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

If you click on the Download button for GWT Designer, you see that you are
redirected to the eclipse download. So there is no "standalone" version as
java editor that is not based on Eclipse (I'm pretty sure).
So you have to use Eclipse with the plugin.

Boris