It depends. For example if you put your app in an application container, you
can configure it in the server and in your app take it via jndi.

Always depend. Check in this url:
http://www.javacommerce.com/displaypage.jsp?name=javamail.sql&id=18274

<http://www.javacommerce.com/displaypage.jsp?name=javamail.sql&id=18274>Juan