FYI:  The project I'm on will also be saving in the background.
However, we will just transfer all the data back to the server on save
(there really isn't that much), so I don't have to worry about the
object statuses on the client (the server can work them out).

If you really have that much data that you can only send the modified
bits back, I'd be tempted to split up the data model.