On Apr 13, 2:15 pm, Juan Pablo Gardella <gardellajuanpa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> is there other stacktrace?. There aren't an error
>
> 2011/4/13 Rob Tanner <caspersg...@gmail.com>
>
> > Hi,
>
> > My webapp runs perfectly in development mode, but when I build the WAR
> > file and move onto a test server, I have problems.  Database
> > connections are failing and hitting the return key does not move the
> > cursor to the next field even though I that function is explicitly
> > look for KeyCodes.KEY_ENTER and set the focus to the next widget.
>
> > The only errors I'm seeing are in catalina.out:
>
> > Apr 13, 2011 1:44:07 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> > validateJarFile
> > INFO: validateJarFile(/usr/local/java/apache-tomcat-7.0.12/webapps/
> > AccountRequest/WEB-INF/lib/gwt-dev.jar) - jar not loaded. See Servlet
> > Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending class: javax/servlet/Servlet.class
> > Apr 13, 2011 1:44:07 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> > validateJarFile
> > INFO: validateJarFile(/usr/local/java/apache-tomcat-7.0.12/webapps/
> > AccountRequest/WEB-INF/lib/gwt-user.jar) - jar not loaded. See Servlet
> > Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending class: javax/servlet/Servlet.class
>
> > I'm using jdk1.6.0_22.  Since I upgrade to gwt 2.1.1, I though
> > possibly that the 5.5.31 version of Tomcat might be incompatible, so I
> > updated to the current version 7.0.12.  A big jump, but the error is
> > the same.  Any ideas?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Rob Tanner
> > Linfield College
>
> > --

No stacktrace at all.  Using the old-fashioned System.err.println()
method of debugging (I don't know of any other way to do it on the
test server) I was able to determine where one of my errors is coming
from.  While, yes, the database connection was failing but it was
because an earlier call to a method is another class hung, crashed,
I'm not sure which.  The entire class is very short so here's the
source (including my print statements):

package org.linfield.accountRequest.server.workers;

import java.io.IOException;
import java.net.URI;
import java.net.URISyntaxException;

import org.apache.http.HttpEntity;
import org.apache.http.HttpResponse;
import org.apache.http.ParseException;
import org.apache.http.client.ClientProtocolException;
import org.apache.http.client.HttpClient;
import org.apache.http.client.methods.HttpPost;
import org.apache.http.client.utils.URIUtils;
import org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultHttpClient;
import org.apache.http.util.EntityUtils;
//import org.apache.xerces.util.URI;
//import org.apache.xerces.util.URI;

public class FerpaRetrieval {

        public FerpaRetrieval() {
                // TODO Auto-generated constructor stub
                System.err.println("Instantiate FerpaRetrieval()");
        }

        public String getPolicy() {
                try {
                        System.err.println("Trying FERPA");          <----
this statement
appears in catalina.out
                        HttpClient client = new DefaultHttpClient();
                        System.err.println("Made a client");         <----
this statement
does not

                        URI auth = URIUtils.createURI("https",
"www.linfield.edu",
                                        -1, "its/ferpa/ferpatext.html", null,
null);

                        System.err.println("Got past URI");
                        HttpPost ap = new HttpPost(auth);
                        HttpResponse response = client.execute(ap);
                        String policy = "";

                        HttpEntity entity = response.getEntity();
                        System.err.println("Got past getEntity");
                        if (entity == null) {
                                System.err.println("entity is null");
                        } else {
                                policy = EntityUtils.toString(entity);
                        }
                        System.err.println("Ready to return FERPA");
                        return policy;

                } catch (ClientProtocolException e) {
                        // TODO Auto-generated catch block
                        e.printStackTrace();
                        return null;
                } catch (ParseException e) {
                        // TODO Auto-generated catch block
                        e.printStackTrace();
                        return null;
                } catch (URISyntaxException e) {
                        // TODO Auto-generated catch block
                        e.printStackTrace();
                        return null;
                } catch (IOException e) {
                        // TODO Auto-generated catch block
                        e.printStackTrace();
                        return null;
                } catch (Exception e) {
                        // TODO Auto-generated catch block
                        e.printStackTrace();
                        return null;

The line "HttpClient client = new DefaultHttpClient()" appears to be
the culprit.  You'll notice that I included the whole getPolicy()
method within a try/catch to try and catch the problem and get me a
stacktrace.  Didn't get anything.  Any ideas about this one?

~ Rob