Hi,

we were facing same problem as you - our codebase for client side has
thousands of classes, server side too. Only possible solution was to
slpit whole project into maven sub-projects and create new dynamic
architecture of whole project - cliend and server side.

For now, our system consist from about 20 well defined maven
subprojects which are logical system components. An logical componet
consist from other sub-projects [gwt-client], [gwt-server], [core],
[api]. This gave us very good results, because, every subproject can
be unit tested, gwt-client can be stared in hosted mode using mocking
services. All development process is now very well defined. GUI
developers can code gwt code and test it against mocked services.
Server gyus are just developing services on server and testing
services in unit tests. And in the end everything will be joined to
one piece when release time will come.

We are not using hosted mode above the whole application. It can be
done, because required HW resources are such huge. Hosted mode is
started only above subprojects [gwt-client].

Yes of course this approach has so much boilerplate things. But it
works. Honestly I'm afraid to start whole application in hosted
mode.

Palo