I was too quick to draw my conclusions.
I copied both the SimpleCacheAppLinker code as well as the
AppCacheLinker code to my project and now it works.

It works too if you append the annotation @Shareable to the class
SimpleCacheAppLinker.

Can anyone explain to me why? What is the purpose of this annotation?

Anyway - offline web apps rock!!! ;)

Greetings
Stefan