On Friday, 03 June, 2011 04:30 AM, khiem nguyen wrote:
404 means not found

try to print out your request-url first to see if it matches
host:port/mycompany/sayHello or not.
i think it will not match, your request url will also include your
gwt-module-name in the path

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 8:15 PM, Ybrek
<xyb...@gmail.com
<mailto:xyb...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hi i'm trying to access a simple servlet from within GWT (dev mode):

    The basic idea is to get the simple response from the servlet and then
    show it to GWT client side.

    I think I'm missing something here or have misconfigured the code, I
    presume in the RequestBuilder part or in the url-pattern. I'm always
    getting 404 response.

    Can anyone help? Cheers, Ybrek

    SayHelloServlet.java

    package com.mycompany.server;

    import java.io.*;
    import javax.servlet.*;
    import javax.servlet.http.*;

    public class SayHelloServlet extends HttpServlet {
                                HttpServletResponse response)
                  throws ServletException, IOException {
                PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
                out.println("Hello!!!");

    ServletDemo.java

    package com.mycompany.client

    public class ServletDemo implements EntryPoint {
    ..
            public void onModuleLoad() {
                    makeServletCall();

    ..
       public void makeServletCall() {
            String url = GWT.getHostPageBaseURL() + "sayHello";;
            RequestBuilder builder = new RequestBuilder(RequestBuilder.GET,
                            URL.encode(url));

            try {

                    builder.sendRequest(null, new RequestCallback(){

                                    public void onError(Request request,
    Throwable exception) {
                                            Window.alert("Error ("+
    exception +")");
                                    }

                                    public void
    onResponseReceived(Request request,
                                                    Response response) {
                                            if (200 ==
    response.getStatusCode()) {
                                                    Window.alert("the
    string: "+ response.getText());
                                            }
                                            else {
                                            // Handle the error. Can get
    the status text from
    response.getStatusText()
                                            Window.alert(" Connected
    with error(maybe): " +
    response.getText());
                                            }

                                    }});

                    } catch (Exception e) {
                            GWT.log(e.toString());
                            Window.alert("Whoosps " + e.toString());

    Here's the web.xml in the war folder:

    web.xml

    <web-app>
    <servlet>
    <servlet-name>sayHelloServlet</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>com.mycompany.server.SayHelloServlet</servlet-
    class>
    </servlet>

    <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>sayHelloServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/mycompany/sayHello</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    </web-app>

Hi thanks, the problem is with the url-pattern and how I call it with the RequestBuilder. Works now. -Xybrek