For the Google I/O presentation I was indeed running Windows 7 via
VMWare on my Mac. It was fast because I was using the latest build
(basically GPE v2.3.1 at the time) and not because of the OS
configuration. If you try the latest release (v2.3.2), I think you
will find it to be significantly faster.