I have severe problems, understanding and using
com.google.gwt.i18n.client.Numberformat, hoping somebody out there can
help and enlighten me.

When I try to get a formatter via NumberFormat.getFormat(pattern) I
get an InvalidPatternException even so my pattern is valid within the
german locale, eg #.##0,0##.
I know that the locale is set correctly and used by my app, because
all the default texts, eg when loading data, show up in german.

The documentation (and posts in various forms) say, that NumberFormat
uses the default locale to get a formatter, with a specific pattern,
which I assume in my case is de_DE, because it is set to this. So what
am I doing wrong, am I missing?

I'm using GWT 2.3