Actually you can use Collection.sort with the Comparator in the server side
(if you use Java as your server). I have used it in order to do the
multi-level sorting because
Let's see some example of Collection.sort and Comparator here

http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/collections/interfaces/order.html

But the things is you have to create a list in order to collect the order of
sorting and then you send it to the server.
For example if I have my function for pulling some data like this

public List fetchData() {
      // fetch data
}

you just added the criteria as the argument of the function like this

public List fetchData(List sortingCriteria) {
      // fetch data
}

Hope that my answer can help you.

Your welcome : )