I have the same issue, and am using a similar workaround. The only
difference is that I add the external class folder to my Java build path.
When I run JUnit tests, I make sure the class folder is at the top of the
Order and Export list, and when in standard development I put it at the
bottom.

This way it works for all test cases - but still not a great workaround.
--
Sébastien Tromp