I replaced RootPanel with RootLayoutPanel.

Here is the EntryPoint from HelloMVP:

 private SimplePanel appWidget = new SimplePanel();
 RootPanel.get().add( appWidget );
 activityManager.setDisplay( appWidget );

I replaced RootPanel with RootLayoutPanel:

 private SimplePanel appWidget = new SimplePanel();
 RootLayoutPanel.get().add( appWidget );
 activityManager.setDisplay( appWidget );

Maybe I'm a little too naive in thinking that would do much.

Also, when I look at the page source generated, it appears a DOCTYPE
is already there.  Here is the page source generated by the GWT app
(HelloMVP).

 <!doctype html>
 <!-- The DOCTYPE declaration above will set the    -->
 <!-- browser's rendering engine into               -->
 <!-- "Standards Mode". Replacing this declaration  -->
 <!-- with a "Quirks Mode" doctype may lead to some -->
 <!-- differences in layout.                        -->

If I create a simple GWT app (not Activities & Places) and plop a
DockLayoutPanel in the RootPanel, it just works.  Fills the page
nicely without having to add any onResize handlers.  Is there a reason
why adding handlers would be needed in an Activities & Places
framework (such as that provided by HelloMVP)?  I'd like to understand
that a bit more.