Caching of services (which are mocks in such a scenario) is a problem
indeed. One easy solution on GWT side would be to have this cache
servlet-specific (i.e. ServiceLayer specific) and not as static field. I
worked around this by calling Mockito#reset() whenever the service
is acquired from my helper class.

You're right, these are more integration tests than plain junit tests,
however this is absolutely useful, e.g. to test the String parameters in
.with("") methods. The overhead is relatively small. We have some hundred
RF-tests that run within seconds.

The main problem in my view are the proxy interfaces which are hard to
handle. A POJO based solution (DTOs) would help very much, however, I am not
sure if this is technically possible.