Hi John,

In my opinion GWT is not for little application ( just a newsgroup or forum
). For big application you earn lot of time because it's easy to build the
user interface, easy to test, easy to add functionalities...and easy to
deploy. Really cross browser, and friendly java based.

I agree with you. In dev mode or hosted mode it can be a little bit slow.

But when i deploy in production mode ( Tomcat or Glassfish server ), it's
fast, responsive, with full AJAX support. I can display complex UI in any
browsers, without worry about javascript, IE browser non conformance. Etc...

Really, this technology is a real pleasure.

If you have some pb with hosted mode and appengine, you can write Ant script
or Maven script to automatically deploy on tomcat, on each build, and test
in real condition.

In hosted mode, the code is "interpreted" by a dedicated JVM, it's why it
can be slow. But once compiled in javascript and deployed on server, for me
it's fast.

I think it's not a good idea to test your application every 5 mns. It's not
productive. Instead, i write 20 or 30 java classes, design my UI, build my
server component, and then, test my application.

You can really build a sophisticated application in few days. Once on server
it run fast.

Regards.

Karim Duran