I'm trying to take a Java application that's targeted to run on the desktop
or as an applet and get it to also run on Tablets (I'm not targeting
phones). It's clearly not a trivial task. A main concern is to keep a single
code base for all target environments. So GWT is a possibility.

We use obfuscators/compressors  in the build/release process to cut down on
class file sizes when targeting specific environments. (Did I mention
several ActiveX environments?)  GWT seems to do a good job of
obfuscation/compression and claims to do a good job of dead code
elimination. But it doesn't seem to be configurable. I can't tell it what to
include or exclude. I'm assuming it uses code-reachability only. Which leads
to my next (somewhat different) point:

It seems to not be possible to break up a GWT app into multiple .js files. I
was hoping that the user could download and cache the pieces of the app he
needs as he comes to use them. Is there anyway to do that?

One more slightly related question: Given that the GWT-compiled code is
obfuscated, is there any way to de-obfuscate client side generated
JavaScriptExceptions so as to have some chance of debugging user-reported
bugs?

Thanks for any help.