Yes, FileSystem and FileWriter are HTML5 Javascript APIs that are
available to browsers that support them.

And yes, with JSNI. Overlays are described here:
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideCodingBasicsOverlay.html

For example, the FileSystem object described at
http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/file-system/pub/FileSystem/#the-filesystem-interface
would have an overlay like:

public final class FileSystem extends JavaScriptObject {
        protected FileSystem() {
        }
        public native String getName()/*-{
                return this.name;
        }-*/;
        public native DirectoryEntry getRoot()/*-{
                return this.root;
        }-*/;
}