I am struggling with EXACTLY the same sort of issue.

The GWT dox are great, when viewed as separate small islands.
The problem is they don't consistently interconnect with each other so
they don't give you a solid "view" of what a well-architected GWT app
looks like and how to build one from start to finish.  They also are
full of outdated dox that barely mention they are outdated (GWT RPC
dox is a perfect example, which have 1 or 2 lines buried all the way
at the bottom of the doc).

I have a buddy who between him and a coworker of his have hammered out
what they feel is an ideal GWT architecture; the problem is it's hard
for him to explain it to me because it's just all too... big.  It
feels bloated (even if maybe it isn't) and he had to write a lot of
his own architecture to reduce what he felt was GWT still getting
things wrong.  Because it's hard for him to explain it all in a 1-hour
sitdown, I still feel lost.

I don't understand why GWT doesn't have a nice, concise, clean
tutorial that is up-to-date with modern (post-2.0) GWT.