For your second question, you basicly make a new composite widget with
Designer, and then call it as the contents of a Popup widget.
Something like;

PopupPanel testPopup = new PopupPanel();

Label testContents = new Label("This popup had a label as its
contents, but you can put any widget here! Including those made by
Designer");

testPopup.setWidget(testContents);
testPopup.show();

But instand of "testContents" being a label, it will be a widget class
made in designer.

To be honest, Id recomend at least a bit learning how to use GWT and
layout widgets in code before jumping to designer. While it makes many
things quicker/easier - it could make them a lot worse if you don't
understand whats its doing on your behalf.
Designer is relatively recent compared to the rest of GWT, so the
examples wernt made with it in mind.