On 10/25/2011 11:16 AM, Dennis Haupt wrote:
> hi there,
>
> a coworker told me that jquery has a bunch of advantages over gwt and
> that gwt offers pretty much nothing that jquery doesn't - and is going
> to infest our source code if i can't stop him.

1) There's always the port of jQuery to GWT called GQuery. It does add
some value, and seems to work well for the limited use I've made of it.

2) GWT is much more than just widgets (as is jQuery). Does your
co-worker know that GWT provides the benefits of type-safe code, code
optimization, leveraging IDEs for Java?

3) jQuery is a fine library. At the end of the day, you're still writing
and debugging pure JavaScript. As some Italians say, "I'd rather pound
on 'it' with large rocks.

4) There's probably a happy medium here, somewhere. But, in my IMNSHO,
if your team hasn't settled on a set of technology solutions, and
management hasn't supported that decision, then you have other, more
substantial issues.