@Palo,G:
Uemit is correct. There are many cases that need client computing and
specific algorithms, for instance, image processing, especially for
those which
need prompt interactivity. You can not always push the data to the
sever to
process and then get the result  back to show. In low bandwidth
internet,
that will bring the user to kill himself.

At least till now, the GWT is commonly used for text-based
applications, say
,information system. As the HTML5 comes into play, more and more
canvas or
webgl based web applications will be made by J.S.and most of them need
intensive client computing.I believe the IP issue will become more and
more important.

Actually it is hard for me to understand why J.S., such a poor
language, is becoming so popular. Sun,the stupid giant, made too many
mistakes that let java , so great language, lose his position in
internet era. In some sense, the GWT project is damn ironic,isn't?