Thanks for your detailed explanation. It helped me understand RF and GWT a
little better.

I ended up with a EmplyeeGWT class, which extends the MongoDB model but
returns the ObjectId as String and parse the returned String to ObjectId.
This seems to work. One restriction to our problem is also, that the model
gets generated. The thing that bugs me is that I have an extra model and
also an extra service just for GWT. We are thinking about making GWT use
the JERSEY Service over RPC, but than we cant use the Objects on the client
side.
So far many thanks for the help.