Thanks everyone for your responses. I just thought maybe I should give
you more information so the responses can be more concrete.
My goal is to create a sort of forge where students here (in Tunisia)
can start and collaborate in open source projects (just hoping
students will be more motivated to work outside of the class) and at
the same time I can familiarize myself with Java and GWT.

I would like to see an example of how to fetch data from a database
using Java or taking input from GWT forms and storing them in a
database? Should I learn Java Enterprise Edition before diving into
this?
I'm getting a bit lost here