Are you sure they're "inheriting" handlers?  I think the mouse enters
the region of both images and so their handlers are activated.  If you
have two images that don't completely overlap and you enter an area
that isn't overlapped, only one handler is called right?

Unfortunately, I think you'll have to consolidate these into a single
handler and you'll have to somehow figure out the z-order of the
images, then chain to the appropriate handler.

I think I'd try to wrap the Image in a FocusPanel (since only one
element can have focus at a time) and then use a focus handler to beat
this problem ... it's probably easier than trying to recreate the
logic the browser used to render the Images with the proper z-order.
Good luck (and an interesting problem).

smoyer