I'd be surprised if that's related to GWT, but maybe I'm wrong.

Are you sure you're using the right URL? If you're using a relative
path, you might get tripped up between hosted and compiled mode. If
you're using the url "/myimage.png", then hosted mode will probably
work and real mode would probably fail (assuming you set up your
servlet as "/myimage.png"), since real mode would probably actually be
at "/myproject/myimage.png" or something like that.

I would grab some developer tools and inspect your image source and
make sure that the url it's going to actually works. Also look for any
other errors that might be on the console.

Hope that helps,

Derek