On Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:58:14 PM UTC+1, tanteanni wrote:

> at the beginning of my gwt adventure i read somewhere that it is better to
> use concrete classes for interfaces like lists, because the gwt compiler
> must generate java script for every kind of list.
> Is this (still) true?

Only on GWT-RPC, and yes it's still true. If you say
you're transferring SomeObject via RPC, GWT has to compile the code for
every class it knows that extends SomeObject, so you can safely send and
receive SomeOtherObject (provided "class SomeOtherObject extends
SomeObject"). So if you say java.util.List, GWT will grab
java.util.Collections.SingletonList, java.util.Collections.EmptyList,
java.util.Collections.ImmutableList, java.util.Arrays.ArrayList,
java.util.ArrayList, java.util.LinkedList, etc. whereas if you say
java.util.ArrayList, it reduces the number of classes that you app has to
know about.

You can safely use java.util.List everywhere else in your code, just not in
your method declarations in your GWT-RPC interfaces.

BTW, AutoBeans and RequestFactory only allow java.util.List and
java.util.Set (and java.util.Map for AutoBeans), not java.util.ArrayList,
java.util.HashSet or java.util.HashMap for instance.